Patients with RP may experience some of the problems below:
Inflammation of cartilage:
- The ears and/or the nose may become swollen, red, warm and tender. The throat may become tender or the voice hoarse.
Destruction and thickening of cartilage:
- Collapse or thickening of the outer ears.
- Collapse of the bridge of the nose referred to as a saddlenose.
- Difficulty breathing due to thickening or the collapse of the trachea.
- Pain and swelling of the joints
- Rib pain (costochondritis)
Hearing and Balance Problems Eye inflammation:
- Red, painful and swollen eyes due to one of the following uveitis, iritis, scleritis, episcleritis, conjunctivitis.
- Involvement with large vessels particularly the ascending aorta.
- Rashes or organ specific problems.
- Many other problems have been described in patients with RP.
- 30% of patients may suffer from another autoimmune disease.